February 26, 2011
It was tough to read yesterday that the Rhinos were selling 2010 team MVP Aaron Pitchkolan to the Puerto Rico Islanders of the NASL. That means that the Rhinos have lost their 2010 captain (Frankie SanFilippo) and 2010 team MVP to NASL clubs in the past month.
The Rhinos, the USL, and others can talk all they want about how the USL Pro League will be on a par with the NASL. But, they haven't sold it to every player. And if the Rhinos lose guys like Troy Roberts and Jonathan Greenfield and others to NASL clubs either due to higher compensation or a perception that the NASL is a higher level of competition, then a good business decision may end up being a bad soccer decision for the Rhinos in 2011.
We shall see how the rest of the off season goes. But, the decision to go with the USL Pro League in 2011 looked a lot better a month ago than it does now.
News & Notes:
- The Rhinos did sign MF Brad Stisser and D Will Traynor this week, along with a jersey sponsor.
- Rochester's Jordan Allen and the US U-17 MNT have earned a place in the U-17 World Cup.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer.com has the USL Pro and NASL news of the week. There are a few former Rhinos on the move including Jonny Steele to Carolina and Luke Kreamalmayer to Montreal.
- Yael Averbuch of the WNY Flash had a trick shot competition with USWNT teammate Tobin Heath.
- Studs Up, The Offside Rules, and The Original Winger covered the unveiling of the NY Cosmos clothing collection.
- MLS Insider has a day in the life of Don Garber and Don Garber sat down with Fanhouse for an interview.
- Landon Donovan doesn't think people should judge Beckham. But that won't stop Dan Loney from wondering if Becks is going to screw the Galazy, especially after a line like this one.
- Maurice Edu scored the goal that pushed Rangers into the Europa League Quarterfinals.
- The 24th Minute looks at some of MLS's creative marketing efforts.
- This is why MLS should not look at changing to the international calendar. Although, some might say that fans just don't care about the CONCACAF Champions League that much.
- Carlos Ruiz to Philadelphia is a done deal.
- Grant Wahl did an interview on Dutch TV in his run for FIFA President. The USA 10 Kit and US Soccer Daily have their takes on Grant's campaign.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer.com has the latest on the battle for San Antonio and Orlando City SC's pre-season win over the PhiladelphiaUnion of MLS.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.