February 26, 2011
It was tough to read yesterday that the Rhinos were selling 2010 team MVP Aaron Pitchkolan to the Puerto Rico Islanders of the NASL. That means that the Rhinos have lost their 2010 captain (Frankie SanFilippo) and 2010 team MVP to NASL clubs in the past month.
The Rhinos, the USL, and others can talk all they want about how the USL Pro League will be on a par with the NASL. But, they haven't sold it to every player. And if the Rhinos lose guys like Troy Roberts and Jonathan Greenfield and others to NASL clubs either due to higher compensation or a perception that the NASL is a higher level of competition, then a good business decision may end up being a bad soccer decision for the Rhinos in 2011.
We shall see how the rest of the off season goes. But, the decision to go with the USL Pro League in 2011 looked a lot better a month ago than it does now.
News & Notes:
- Rochester's Jordan Allen and the US U-17 MNT have earned a place in the U-17 World Cup.
- Yael Averbuch of the WNY Flash had a trick shot competition with USWNT teammate Tobin Heath.
- Maurice Edu scored the goal that pushed Rangers into the Europa League Quarterfinals.
- The 24th Minute looks at some of MLS's creative marketing efforts.
- Carlos Ruiz to Philadelphia is a done deal.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.