Danny Cepero made his MLS debut over the weekend largely because Jon Conway failed a doping test.
But, his debut was memorable when he took a free kick 81 yards away from the Columbus goal, Crew goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum played the ball tentatively, and the Giants Stadium turf created the first MLS goal by a goalkeeper.
I've voted for Cepero in the Sierra Mist Goal of the Week contest and I hope you do too!
News & Notes:
- Speaking of Conway and teammate Jeff Parke, I love Michael Lewis' take on the situation.
There is a reason that EAS is the only supplement company that is certified by the NFL and NFLPA.
- Is hell freezing over? Montreal wants to learn from Toronto?!?!?!?!?!
- The LA Times soccer blog has a piece on FC Barcelona and their interest in an MLS team in Miami.
- Ridge Mahoney's latest at SI.com rates the seven bids for MLS expansion teams. I am surprised that he gives his best rating to Vancouver as I think the Montreal bid has deeper pockets and a better stadium plan. But, I guess Ridge is a big Phoenix Suns fan.......
- It looks like Beckham will be hanging with Kaka and Ronaldinho this off season as he has been invited to train with AC Milan.
- Ridge Mahoney also took a look at the big mid-season additions to MLS lead by Brian McBride and Darren Huckerby. I think Huckerby will get even more run next season if Frank Yallop can improve his squad a little more during the off season.
- When I was driving to the Y over the weekend, I noticed that Scott Vallow camps were getting some pub on TSE's sign out on Elmgrove.
I guess the Rhinos season is officially over!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.