October 26, 2012
The Lancers are bringing back 11 players from last season and they held an open scrimmage last night as we are eight days away from their season opener in Syracuse against the Silver Knights. The team also announced that their games will be broadcast on Fickle 93.3 FM and the Time Warner Cable SportsChannel.
The Lancers have been in camp for a week under first year head coach Jim Hesch. Hesch was happy with how ready the team was to open up training camp this week.
Other news & notes:
- Senegal has been disqualified from the 2013 African Cup of Nations.
- WVHooligan looks at whether college is the best path for MLS home grown players or not.
- The US and Jamaica advanced from Group A in CONCACAF Semifinal round World Cup qualifying.
- Clint Dempsey and Eddie Johnson's chemistry really help put the US through.
- This may be one of the best USMNT t-shirts ever made.
- Zac Lee Rigg is more worried about the fact that the US advanced as opposed to how they advanced.
- Chris Wondolowski is on the verge of breaking the MLS single season goal scoring record.
- Pablo Campos is this season's NASL MVP.
- Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson believes that MLS franchise fees will rise.
- The USMNT will play a friendly in Russia next month.
- Beau Dure wonders if women's soccer is trending upward or merely going in circles.
- Fox Soccer did a cool behind the scenes piece with young USWNT F Sydney Leroux.
- Alex Morgan is one of the stars of a new Nike commercial.
- Here are the highlights from the USWNT's 2-2 draw with Germany from Tuesday night.
- US Soccer President Sunil Gulati has talked about naming the next USWNT head coach.
- Abby Wambach is one of four USWNTers up for the FIFA World Player of the Year Award.
- Landon Donovan is talking like he might be burned out on soccer.
- Toronto FC head coach Paul Mariner is annoyed that Adrian Heath backed out on an agreement to join his staff to re-sign with Orlando City.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.