Defender Frankie Sanfilippo is returning to Rochester for his second tour of duty with the Rhinos.
Frankie first joined the Rhinos in 2005 following Laurie Calloway over from the Syracuse Salty Dogs where Sanfilippo began his pro career.
After leaving Rochester, Frankie moved on to the Carolina RailHawks where he played the 2007 and 2008 seasons for Scotty Schweitzer. While in Carolina, Frankie was entrusted with the RailHawks captaincy.
In 2009, Sanfilippo moved on to the Charleston Battery where he was second on the team in minutes played with 2602 and scored two league goals.
Sanfilippo will add a veteran presence to the Rhinos back line that will be without players like Kenney Bertz and John Ball who played the two positions that Sanfilippo has a lot of experience: center back and right back.
Hopefully this signing is followed up by some others that can get Rhinos fans excited about the upcoming 2010 Rhinos campaign.
News & Notes:
- Steven Goff , Unprofessional Foul , and SBI.net all have reactions to Landon Donovan's MOTM performance in Everton's 2-1 win over Chelsea yesterday. I guess Landon can play in the EPL after all.......
- Inside Minnesota Soccer has a really good post on FC Edmonton.
- IMS.com also has the news that Manny Lagos has been named the head coach in Minnesota.
- The NY Red Bulls are denying a report that they are talking to Raul as their DP forward that they want to add after the World Cup.
- Stuart Holden might be available for Bolton's FA Cup match versus Tottenham after getting in 60 minutes of reserve action for the Wanderers.
- Clint Dempsey hopes to return for Fulham next month.
- San Jose has signed Eduardo, a Brazilian forward who has been playing in Switzerland. Soccernomics would say that Brazilians are generally overrated in the transfer market.....
- Vancouver will host the Seattle Sounders for a pre-season friendly.
- The Original Winger has a cooll post talking to a couple of members of the American Outlaws.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.