January 8, 2008
People are wondering where Frank DuRoss has been during the recent upheaval with the Rhinos and now we know the rest of the story.
I'd love to know the whole backstory behind why Frank has let Steve take the lead during this time. But honestly, I'm a lot more worried about getting the new investor onboard than anything else.
Once that happens, nobody will care that Frank let Steve be the front man recently.
News & Notes:
- The Rhinos have re-signed forward Chad Severs and signed Canadian left back Leigh Sembaluk. Is this a sign that the new investor has signed on the dotted line.................
- In news that should shock nobody, Mauro Biello re-signed with the Impact. It would have been huge news if he hadn't re-signed with Montreal.
- FC Dallas could be adding Mexican International defender Duilio Davino. I wonder how Tino Palace will react to his beloved Hoops adding a Mexican cheap shot artist?
- SBI.net and Big Apple Soccer.com are reporting that Jeff Agoos has been named the new Sporting Director by Red Bull NY replacing Bruce Arena. With the departure of Arena, many had thought that Agoos was on his way out the door as well. But, the former US International defied the odds and will now work with Osorio in attempting to improve the NY club moving forward.
- Kristine Lilly has some good news and some bad news . The bad news is that she will not be a apart of the US Olympic team. The good news is that she is expecting her first child. The interesting thing is that she is not closing the door to a comeback. Hopefully all goes well and the 2007 Women's World Cup isn't her last major tournament for the US.
- The Houston Chronicle believes that Dynamo assistant coach John Spencer is the leading candidate for the Chicago Fire job.
- In another story that isn't really news to me, the Canadian Press is reporting that Mo Johnston wants to wheel and deal around the time of the MLS SuperDraft. The news would be if Mo didn't want to wheel and deal.
- Honeymoon or USMNT training camp? New England defender Michael Parkhurst has opted for the latter as opposed to the former. I hope he has an understanding wife!
- Steven Goff is reporting that Preston North End was the European club that came calling for Taylor Twellman and had their advance turned away by the Revs.
- SBI.net says that Claudio Reyna will be back with the Red Bulls in 2008. Jeff Agoos' quote of "we expect to have Claudio back and healthy " made me chuckle. I know he has to say it, but I don't believe anyone expects Claudio to remain healthy throughout the 2008 MLS season.
- It looks like the Chicago Fire are trying to get a second DP slot to add another high profile player along with Blanco. If Spencer does get this job, that will either make things easier for him or just raise the expectations a ton.
- It looks like the Eddie Johnson to Derby County rumors are dead. I wonder if Simek and DeMerit are lobbying their clubs to go after Feilhaber?
- If Jose Angulo isn't signed by New England, I wonder if the Rhinos could try and go after him?
- I loved Chris Rolfe's take on MLS groupies in Chicago!
- TIAS.com has as cool double interview with Chicago Fire midfielder Bakary Soumare and his old high school coach.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.