May 27, 2009
The Rhinos played a friendly in Harrisburg on the way home from Charleston!
Apparently Kwame Sarkodie scored the lone goal of the match and Tim Melia had the clean sheet.
Also, former City Islander Ryan Heins sported the captain's armband for the Rhinos.
Champions League stuff:
I won't spoil it as I don't want to tick off anyone like me that is DVRing or TIVOing the game.
But here is some stuff from around the internets:
- The USMNT blog has some predictions. Everyone took ManU.
- That leads nicely into Greg Lalas' SI.com piece that asks the question, "If everyone loves Barca, then why are they picking ManU?"
- With $154 million (I need the MegaMillions guy to do the voiceover) on the line, it would be cool if they had the money in a huge pile near the 4th official.
News & Notes:
- Vancouver 2011 is already getting internet props for this virtal ad campaign.
- The Whitecaps are hosting Montreal this evening in an NCC match. I hope they get the Impact really tired for Saturday!
- Seattle played their way past Colorado and into the US Open Cup with a 1-0 win last evening.
- San Jose has waived Davide Somma to make room for Cornell Glenn.
- I think we now know why Rochester doesn't have a WPS team. Each club is expected to lose $1M+ this season.
- Another American has bought an EPL club. This time it is Ellis Short taking over Sunderland.
- Does the success of women's soccer in the US really hurt MLS? It has to be minimal damage at best. I think the ease of access to higher level club soccer such as the EPL, La Liga, and Serie A on TV, along with the Champions League hurts MLS waaaaay more.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.