The Rhinos closed out the regular season with a 1-0 win over the Pittsburgh Riverhounds thanks to a goal from Pittsburgh native Rich Costanzo.
The Riverhounds return to Rochester on Friday night in the first round of the USL PRO League playoffs. If the Rhinos win, they would host the Harrisburg-LA winner in the division final, likely on Friday, August 26th.
The Flash found out at halftime that they had clinched the regular season WPS title thanks to magicJack's 2-1 win over Philadelphia.
They then went on to finish the regular season in style with a 2-0 win over the Atlanta Beat.
By winning the regular season, the Flash earned the right to host the WPS Championship game on Saturday August 27th at 4pm. magicJack hosts the Boston Breakers this Wednesday evening in the first round match. The winner heads to Philadelphia for the Super Semifinal on Saturday. The winner of the Super Semifinal advances to face the Flash on the 27th at Sahlen's Stadium.
It will be interesting to see if Abby Wambach and magicJack can get through Boston and Philadelphia to face the Flash in the title game. From a ticket sales point of view, there are likely more than a few people with the Flash and WPS that are hoping for that to happen.
News & Notes:
- Baltimore Blast head coach Danny Kelly is optimistic for the 2011-12 season.
- The Boston Breakers and Sky Blue FC played a semi-playoff match in their regular season finale and Boston advanced to the playoffs thanks to their 2-0 win.
- Former FIFA Women's Player of the Year Birgit Prinz has retired.
- If you want some cool USWNT pictures, here you go.
- Beau Dure looks at how the WPS & WUSA developed players for the USWNT.
- All White Kit has an interview about the WWC with Jacqueline Purdy.
- Steven Goff looks at the post-WWC attendance bump in WPS.
- Cesc Fabregas has finally made the move from Arsenal to Barcelona.
- The US-Mexico match did very well in key demographics of the TV ratings.
- MLS Soccer.com looks at how Klinsmann is helping to build Juan Agudelo's confidence.
- The USA 10 Kit looks at the long strange trip that Freddy Adu has been on so far in his career.
- MLS Soccer.com's Armchair Analyst looks at what the Adu signing means for the Union.
- Apparently happiness for Freddy Adu is a warm reception in Philly.
- The USA 10 Kit looks at the floating 4-3-3 the Union used in Adu's debut.
- Steve Davis has a list of MLS coaches that are on the hot seat. Coach #4 was on Kick This! on Saturday....
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.