February 4, 2009
The AP is reporting that David Beckham's lawyers are talking to the LA Galaxy brass.
It will be interesting to see if the talks are around merely extending the loan through the end of the 2008-09 Serie A season or for a transfer from LA to AC Milan.
Either way, I'm expecting the soccer hating media out there to latch on to this story and bash away at MLS.
Personally, I think this says more about LA and Beckham than MLS as a whole.
And this rumor is the greatest! Becks for Sheva!
News & Notes:
- Ridge Mahoney's latest at SI.com talks about how MLS should extend Landon Donovan's loan to Bayern Munich. And I have to laugh at the insistance that LA "needs starpower". If the team wins and is fun to watch (ala NE, Houston, and C'Bus), that is all that matters.
- If LA needs star power, they should buy Thierry Henry!
- Eddie Johnson's European nightmare could be headed to Sweden.
- Apparently Brian McBride was never close to returning to Fulham on loan per SBI.net .
- Former USL 1st Division scoring leader Cam Weaver is headed to San Jose.
- US Soccer has named the head of their bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Michael Lewis thinks that the US bid will be strong. And while I'd like to believe it, I can't see Obama helping things out.
- Nashville will host the US-T&T World Cup qualifier.
- John Harkes could once again be a fan favorite as there are rumors that he might be taking an ownership interest in Sheffield Wednesday.
- Carolina has re-signed 2008 MVP Matt Watson.
- Minnesota is bringing back forward Brian Cvilikas.
- Two time USL 2nd Division Defender of the Year Mark Schulte is following Martin Rennie from Cleveland to Carolina.
- WPS is signing some more foreign players with English defender Alex Scott signing with Boston, Formiga has signed with FC Gold Pride , and Chicago has signed a pair of Swedish internationals.
- Be sure to tune in on Saturday as it looks like John Ball will once again be my co-pilot. Last time he was in-studio, it was awesome!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them