It appears as if Rob Clark and Adirondack Bank are closer to finalizing a deal to take over the Rhinos than Dan Williams ever was. At least that it was Tom Richards is saying.
With less than two months until opening day, it's understandable that the current coaching staff and management team will be kept aboard. And while some people may be disappointed with a lack of a major housecleaning, I think it would be too close to opening day to make those sorts of changes. Especially since the majority of the player signings have to be done already and a new coaching staff might not mix well with the roster that the team will have.
Hopefully 2008 will be a learning experience for Mr. Clark and give him time to evaluate everyone from Matthew Ford and Laurie Calloway all the way down to the janitor so that the major lifting can take place before the 2009 season.
And for those that say that they should bag the 2008 season because of these reasons, I would disagree. Mr. Clark won't be able to learn on the job nearly as much if the team takes a year off.
If all goes well, we should have Mr. Clark and Tim Holt on tomorrow's show to talk about this week's developments.
As always, stay tuned................
News & Notes:
- MLSNet.com has an article on how Jozy Altidore and the U-23s are gearing up for Cuba and Olympic qualifying.
- TIAS.com has a cool look at what's coming in Philly.
- Steven Goff had the Quaranta signing with DC United. It will be interesting to see how this tour of duty works out.
- A list of the most colorful people in MLS history and it doesn't have Carlos Valderamma on it and Jorge Campos is on the bench? Really.............
- The U-23 MNT has their own blog now!
- Part II of the Goal.com Bruce Arena interview is up.
- Yahoo! has a nice article on The Bald Yank aka Marcus Hahnemann.
- The Washington Post editorial page puts their $0.02 in on the DC United stadium.
- SBI.net has the best of what's on TV this weekend.
- Charleston has added their own Cuban defector.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.