November 8, 2010
Tune in to ESPN2 at 6pm tonight as the USWNT faces step 1 in their last chance to advance to next year's FIFA Women's World Cup in Germany.
Thanks to their Semifinal 2-1 loss to host Mexico, the US must now defeat Costa Rica tonight in the CONCACAF Qualifying 3rd place match and then defeat Italy (the 5th place finisher in UEFA qualifying) in a home and home series to earn a berth into next year's Worl Cup finals.
The loss to Mexico was the first ever World Cup Qualifying loss by the USWNT and it couldn't have come at a worse time.
It will be interesting to see how tight the US players are today given that they had a relatively easy win over Costa Rica in group play.
News & Notes:
- I love how MLS calls their Final Four matchups the conference finals when all four teams play in the Western Conference.
- Bobby Convey was a huge reason why San Jose bounced the NY Red Bulls on Thursday night with two goals and an assist.
- MLS has rejected Vancouver's attempt to sign Cody Arnoux and says that he has to enter the SuperDraft, or some other allocation draft.
- The Bald Yank might be headed to MLS.
- Andy Najar and Teal Bunbury may want to play internationally for the US. Nice!
- Charlie Davies and Stuart Holden check in from Europe.
- I know you don't want fans on the field, but come on!
- Dear Zlatan, Don't mess with Gooch.
- If you want to intern at the NSCAA, here you go.
- It will be interesting to see how the Vancouver Whitecaps season ticket prices go over with their fans.
- Fake Sigi has more WPS news from Chicago and Philadelphia.
- US Soccer Daily looks at Taylor Twellman's retirement.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.