September 9, 2008
Matthew's game winning, and playoff clinching, goal on Saturday night landed the Rhinos forward on this week's edition of the USL 1st Division Team of the Week.
Former Rhinos Noah Delgado was also on the Team of the Week as he scored the goal in the showdown of first place teams between Puerto Rico and Vancouver.
Deli's goal now gives the Rhinos three playersin the top 20 in league scoring with Johnny Menyongar tied for 7th with 17 points, Luke Kreamalmayer tied for 9th with 16 points, and Delicatetied for 15th with 13 points.
News & Notes
- In case you didn't believe me yesterday, the Rhinos have clinched a playoff spot per the team's website.
- Speaking of which, Devo's latest blog posting talks about where the Rhinos will finish. If things stay the same, the Rhinos would face Charleston in a 3-6 match up in the first round......
- US Soccer.com has pre-game notes and SBI.net asks who you think should start for the US when they take on T&T tomorrow night in suburban Chicago.
- TIAS.com has the first installment of a series about Clint Dempsey. This one includes Clint turning a fight between some school children into an autograph session and Dempsey hacking at golf balls on a driving range. Cool behind the scenes stuff!
- Soccer America is saying that contract talks between FC Dallas and forward Kenny Cooper have stalled. Personally, I don't see Kenny turning into Eddie Johnson if he gets paid, but what do I know.........
- Speaking of Soccer America, Ridge Mahoney's latest at SI.com takes MLS to task for the mess creating this past weekend by not adjusting their schedule to accomidate World Cup Qualifying dates.
- I know it was only a friendly, but Jozy Altidore scored a hat trick in Villareal's 7-1 win over San Rafael on Saturday!
- In case you hadn't heard, someone has suffered a major season ending knee injury.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.