January 27, 2009
The Rhinos have just announced that they have re-signed Danny Earls to a one year deal for the 2009 season.
Thank goodness MLS and the Colorado Rapids didn't outbid Rochester!
News & Notes:
So, AC Milan has leaked to the media that they are hoping to keep Beckham beyond his current loan from the LA Galaxy.
However, LA boss Bruce Arena was not too keen on the idea and especially did not like AC Milan talking to the media about purchasing Beckham's contract before talking to the Galaxy.
While I think that LA might be better off without Beckham, I can't say that I disagree with Bruce's take that Milan should have talked to them before starting up a media firestorm.
- Bruce also denied that LA was after Michael Owen. I can't believe he killed a brutal rumor that quickly..........
- Check out this No Short Corners post for the latest on Donovan and Kljestan.
- Speaking of Sacha, he got some nice run across the pond after his hat trick against Sweden with Celtic looking to bring him over.
- Ridge Mahoney's latest at SI.com ponders whether it is in Kljestan's best interest to make a move to Europe right now. I wonder if a better fit might be a lower level SPL club or a team in a second tier continental ala Michael Bradley and Oguchi Onyewu.
- Steven Goff asks if Gallardo out and Gomez back to DC would be a good move. Those moves couldn't happen fast enough for my taste.
- Charleston has lost Osvaldo Alonso to Seattle per Steven Goff.
- Juan Pablo Angel tells Big Apple Soccer.com that contract extension talks with the Red Bulls are going well. Even though I am conditioned to hate NY, that is good news for the Red Bulls and MLS.
- Former Rhino Martin Nash has been named the captain in Vancouver.
- Devo is all over the run that Dema is getting with the Galaxy. I wonder what is up with Dema wearing #8? Although, his LA Galaxy.com bio doesn't have a jersey number included......
- I know it won't happen, but how cool would it be if Ronny O'Brien were running up and down the right flank for the Rhinos......
- I wonder if Ronny left San Jose because he didn't want Amway across his chest?
- The Cleveland City Stars have a couple of signings in the news in Arsene Oka from Portland and the re-signing of Ryan Stewart.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.