May 5, 2009
Adam Spangler of TIAS.com has an interview with Peppe Pinton who controls the rights to the NY Cosmos name and logo.
Pinton claims that he is open to letting a group that wants to do a NY based MLS club right the Cosmos name.
He also says that with the Seattle Sounders in MLS and the Portland Timbers and the Vancouver Whitecaps set to join them in MLS in 2011, that the time is right to bring the Cosmos out of retirement.
The Wilpon family, who were rumored to be interested in an MLS franchise, were brought up as an ideal owner for the new Cosmos.
It will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.
News & Notes:
- The week 4 USL Teams of the Week are out and Kenny Bertz and Tai Atieno were named the USL 1st Division Team of the Week. Amazingly, no former Rhinos were on either TOTW this week......
- Fredy Montero needs a slumpbuster.
- Toronto FC fans are jealous of Crew supporters. Funny stuff!
- I hope Philly's director of communications is good to work with!
- The natives are restless in NY? Shouldn't they be used to this sort of thing by now?
- Chris Seitz [USL 1st Division Team of the Week Goalkeeper, Chris Seitz....] is going to get a shot to play with Real Salt Lake after his twin clean sheets for Portland. Something about Nick Rimando having a bone sticking out of his hand....
- Seattle and Colorado will face each other with a spot in the main draw of the US Open Cup on the line.
- I thought the line was "Chicks dig the long ball"?
- Maurice Edu is talking big ahead of an Old Firm match.
- Speaking of LA, Andrea Canales wonders if Bruce Arena has lost his magic. Personally, I think he needs more time to right the ship in LA.
- Daniela really got messed up due to Abby's challenge on Sunday.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.