Former Rhino Chris Carrieri stunned his Carolina RailHawks teammates yesterday when he announced that he was retiring from professional soccer to pursue a job in IT development.
If the press release didn't talk about Chris stopping by practice from time to time, I would wonder if the Mid-Timers were trying to recruit him!
News & Notes:
- Scott Palguta was loaned to the Red Bulls for the Carolina Challenge Cup. Scott did not play in the Red Bulls 1-1 draw with the host Charleston Battery. But, I would expect that he is playing in the Red Bulls reserve match versus the College of Charleston that should be winding down as I type this.
- Speaking of the Red Bulls, I like the Altidore billboard !
- It's too bad that Pat Onstad is no longer around. If he was, there would likely be some pretty good smack talk going back and forth as the US and Canada U-23s fight for a spot in the Olympics. The US needed a late PK from Eddie Gaven to get past Honduras in their final group stage game.
- Since when does a preseason game equal a SuperLiga game? I guess when David Beckham plays the full 90 for the Galaxy on the road in Dallas........
- And in case you missed Saturday's Kick This!, the Cliff's Notes status of the Rob Clark deal is that he has an agreement with Mayor Duffy's team with regards to the length of the lease of the land that PAETEC Park is built upon. He will be meeting with Mayor Duffy and his team early this week to hammer out the small details of a lease agreement. After that is done, then the Rochester City Council has to approve the deal. That could take at least 10 days as the City Council may have to wait 10 days after the agreement is first presented to them to vote on approving the deal. So, we could be about a week and a half away from everything getting done............
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.