June 20, 2008
It's always fun when the Carolina RailHawks come to town.
Tonight's match will have some new storylines as it will be the first time that two former Rhinos players match up head to head as head coaches in the USL 1st Division.
It also will be the first time that Rochester native Jamil Walker will face his hometown team in a RailHawks uniform.
One interesting twist is that Scott Schweitzer told Devo that former Rhinos forward Connally Edozien is unlikely to play tonight for Carolina. The really interesting part of that move is that Edozien is tied for the team league in goals with two on the season.
Although, with Carolina only having outscored Montreal and Rochester through the first third of the USL 1st Division season, you can see why Coach Schweitzer would be looking to shake things up offensively.
And with the RailHawks having been shut out in each of their past three USL 1st Division matches, the RailHawks are looking to get things going starting tonight.
The good news for the Rhinos is that while they will miss John Ball due to a red card suspension, Carolina is missing defender David Stokes and midfielder Phil Long due to their own red cards in the RailHawks last match at Miami FC.
Not surprisingly, Luke Kreamalmayer will fall back to Ball's right back spot. But, Coach Tilley is playing his cards close to his vest with regards to whom will start in the right outside midfield spot. It could be Danny Earls, Steve Guppy, Chad Severs, or Johnny Menyongar as Tilley has a lot of options through the midfield. And that doesn't include Rey Martinez who has yet to suit up for the Rhinos in 2008.
And everyone start praying that the weather clears up before this evening!
News & Notes:
- The Tampa Bay Rowdies joining the USL 1st Division in 2010 is official.
- Some Red Bulls fans want Claudio Reyna to retire. Reyna's ability (or is that inability) to stay healthy was the #1 reason why everyone questioned the move to make him a DP.
- It looks like Ottawa is MLS' newest potential expansion market that Don Garber will use to drive up the price of a new franchise.
- Carlos Bocanegra is headed to French club Rennes after being let go by Fulham.
- I'm a happy camper today after Germany defeated Portugal 3-2.
- Montreal's new stadium is rave reviews from the Canadian Nats.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.