December 1, 2010
The soccer world didn't take Thanksgiving week off, like I did.
- The USWNT clinched their trip to Germany 2011 thanks to A-Rod's goal. And they got a bit lucky at the draw with North Korea, Colombia, and Sweden in their group.
- Devo has coverage of the Western NY Flash announcement. And while everyone would love Abby Wambach to come here, I just can't see the Freedom giving up their marquee player when they are holding on by a string.
- Tomorrow we find out if the US will host the 2022 World Cup. And I'm all for the big sell, but really Don?
- I'm loving the Portland Timbers billboards.
- Ben Olsen got the full time gig with DC United.
- I loved that Portland and Vancouver traded away a boatload of their expansion draft picks after so many people did mock expansion drafts.
- And I really like Dax McCarty ending up in DC.
- Seattle keeps Montero as their 3rd DP and Real Salt Lake keeps Saborio as their 1st DP.
- Vancouver also signed three of their own players.
- Traffic is helping prop up the Atlanta Silverbacks and apparently the NASL as a whole is helping prop up NSC Minnesota to get the NASL to 8 teams.
- It looks like AC St Louis is dead . Although, the team has denied it.
- The USL PRO League is heading to Fullerton, California . How is that going to work?
- Landon Donovan was named Baller of the Year.
- Landon also isn't sure if he has the energy to go back to Everton or if he needs to rest up for 2011.
- Clint Dempsey and Jonathon Spector scored some goals for their club teams.
- And finally, Barca was thankful to play Real Madrid.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.