The biggest debate today is about Robbie Finlay making the team and Brian Ching being released back to the Houston Dynamo.
That makes the million dollar question whether the US has enough beef up top with Altidore and Buddle and if Findlay's speed will be enough to go without a guy that has a lot of experience.
Buddle, Gomez, and Findlay have 9 caps and 1 goal COMBINED.
When Onyewu got outjumped for a goal, that really made me wonder if everyone fixating on the US roster up top with Charlie Davies out was really looking at the weak spot in the US lineup.
With Onyewu's performance, could Bob Bradley be forced to bench Onyewu and either move Bocanegra inside or start a duo of Jay Demerit & Clarence Goodson?
We may learn more on Saturday afternoon when the US takes on Turkey.
News & Notes:
- Clint Dempsey is not happy with some of the comments that John Harkes made last summer. Since Clint is a guy that seems to play better when he's ticked off, I hope someone replays those comments to Clint in the locker room on June 12th.
- Klinsi talks about the US's chances at the World Cup, hopes that Donovan will head back to Europe in the future, and said that MLS is partly to blame for why he backed away from becoming the USMNT coach.
- Claudio Reyna talked about his plans for youth soccer development in the US.
- ESPN2 ratings for MLS matches are down 23%. So, ummm, why does the size of the media market here in Rochester matter again?
- Minnesota will host an MLS sales training center. Shouldn't it be in some place like Montreal or Toronto or Seattle or Portland?
- The USL has an expansion team for the USL 1st Division in 2011. I have a hard time not laughing when I read this or the NASL announcement about Edmonton joining their "league" in 2011.
- The Portland Timbers are starting to tease the June 12th unveiling of their MLS logo. This is a pretty cool video.....
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.