July 23, 2011
Milestone win for the coach? Check
First team to clinch a playoff spot in the USL PRO League? Check
Knock off a team that was on a six game unbeaten streak? Check
The Rhinos were less than 100% with captain Troy Roberts, Quavas Kirk, and Alfonso Motagalvan out with injuries and the Pittsburgh Riverhounds were undeaten in their last half-dozen games heading into last night's match.
But, Bob Lilley's team gave their coach his 200th USL win as a head coach and clinched a playoff spot by dominating Pittsburgh en route to a 3-0 win.
Next up for the Rhinos is a back to back southern road trip with games at the Charlotte Eagles on Friday and at the Charleston Battery on Saturday.
McCall working for a cause
WNY Flash defender/midfielder/forward McCall Zerboni will be a guest on today's edition of Flash Through The WPS and we'll talk about her eBay auctions to help raise money for the Susan G. Koman Foundation for Breast Cancer Research.
Go here to bid on autographed and decorated sports bras from WPS and international soccer stars including the likes of Marta, Carli Lloyd, Kristine Lilly, Christine Sinclair and the item with the biggest bid so far from McCall herself.
News & Notes:
- Jeff Kassouf has a piece at SI.com about what WPS needs to solidify itself in the wake of the Women's World Cup that has made huge stars of many of the league's players.
- The USA 10 Kit wonders if the US can become a soccer crazed nation. It all depends on your definition of soccer crazed. The US will never be like Mexico or England or Brazil, if that's what they are hoping for.
- The USA 10 Kit also looks at how members of the USWNT hope to keep America's eyes on the WPS and women's soccer.
- Fake Sigi takes on the "USWNT choked versus Japan" take.
- Gotta love the FIFA rankings where the US stays at #1 and Japan stays at #4, right where they were before the World Cup.
- Jeff Kassouf has a whole lot fo news & notes on women's soccer, especially WPS at Equalizer Soccer.
- All White Kit gets caught back up with the WPS.
- Dan @ Equalizer Soccer talks about the new era in Canada's WNT and previews this weekend's WPS action.
- The USWNT blog is even in on the WPS preview action.
- Abby Wambach is now the player-head coach of magicJack.
- The Shin Guardian looks at the talent gap the USMNT is dealing with right now.
- The USA 10 Kit doesn't want Alejandro Bedoya to go to Rangers. It is a really intriguing argument, too.
- The Montreal Impact have picked up Ryan Pore on loan from the Portland Timbers. I wonder how much that cost them?
- Ft Lauderdale's Eduardo Coudet lost his cool and has been suspended 6 games by the NASL.
- Dan Loney tells immigrants to go ahead and boo the US Nats.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.