February 16, 2009
You knew that the passing of Friday's deadline wouldn't really close the issue about David Beckham wanting to stay with AC Milan and not come back to LA for what will likely be his final season in MLS.
The crazy part for me is the information coming out that AC Milan's "best offer" before the deadline was only $3 million.
Obviously, AC Milan wasn't serious about acquiring Beckham's services. Or, they didn't take Garber's deadline seriously.
Add in Beckham's hamstring injury suffered on Sunday and it's going to make this whole debacle even more interesting.
Stay tuned to this one. I think things will get even crazier as the calendar flips to March.......
News & Notes:
- Juan Pablo Angel has signed a multi-year contract extension with the Red Bulls. In the long run, I think Angel will have a bigger impact on the field in MLS than Beckham ever will.
- NY has also added former New England Rev Khano Smith.
- Puerto Rico has unveiled the players that will be returning in 2009.
- DC United is now looking at building a stadium in PRince George County in Maryland.
- US Soccer.com takes a look at the latest 2-0 win over Mexico.
- Whil I know that Greg Lalas is right, I can't pull for Mexico to figure things out. That would belike hoping that Brian Burke can fix the Leafs. And thatisn't gonna happen.
- The US-Mexico game set an ESPN2 WCQ ratings record.
- The Red Bulls and MSG have a new multi-year deal in place.
- I wonder who is happier: DC or Gomez?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them