February 19, 2009
AC Milan thinks that there has been some movement towards getting Beckham out from the clutches of MLS and the LA Galaxy.
SI's Arash Markazi says that LA should let him go since he's underperformed for them any way.
The Beckham-less (and Donovan-less) Galaxy went out last night and won 2-0 over Japan's Oita Trinita thanks to an Edson Buddle goal before halftime and a second half PK goal by Jovan Kirovski.
It does look like Donovan will be back merely because of the money that Bayern Munich has already invested in forwards and what the asking price will be for the USMNT star.
News & Notes:
- Yet another former Rhino forward is headed back to the USL 2nd Division. This time it is Chad Severs going back to the Harrisburg City Islanders.
- Forward Pete Byers has re-signed with Montreal after a trial with San Jose did not yield a contract.
- Puerto Rico has added more firepower as they have picked up Martin Nunez from Carolina, Sean Fraser from Miami FC, and Nicholas Addlery from Vancouver.
- Seattle has signed Colombian defender Jhon Hurtado who was getting looked at by AC Milan recently.
- I find it interesting that the Red Bulls let defenders like Palguta, Eric Brunner, and Gordon Kljestan go and yet they are still looking for defenders.
- The Red Bulls have given Dane Richards a fat new contract.
- Kelly Smith has signed with the Boston Breakers of WPS.
- The location and schedule for this year's Algarve Cup has been finalized. The US will open up against Denmark on March 4th, they will play Iceland on the 6th, and finish group play against Norway on the 9th.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them