April 6, 2009
With MLS and WPS underway and the USL 1st Division opening up the 2009 season on Saturday, I can't wait for the Rhinos season to open up.
I know, with snow forecasted for tomorrow, I should be patient. But, I'm not!
With a USL 1st Division preview out today (feel free to complain about the Rhinos preview!) and the Rhinos wrapping up their mini-tour of Maryland, and only two pre-season games remaining, the season opener in Carolina is only 12 days away.
But, we are still roughly eight weeks away from the home opener.......
News & Notes:
- Apparently Fredy Montero's defense so far is that it was a one time fling and the young lady involved is making things up to get back at him. If so, that is messed up.
- DC United's stadium deal does not seem to be on solid footing right now.
- MLS Daily , MLS Talk, and Steven Goff kick around the early attendance numbers around MLS.
- Ridge Mahoney's latest at SI.com looks at the pitfalls for young Americans plying their trade abroad.
- Despite Toronto FC's attempts to keep the crowd in check, someone chucked a beer at Drew Carey. I thought they didn't accept alcohol abuse like that in Canada?
- The Bruce went off after LA's loss over the weekend.
- Marta is getting some nice pub for the LA Sol and WPS.
- The US got drawn into a tough group for the U-20 World Cup in Egypt.
USL News & Notes:
- Charleston signed forward Dan Antoniuk and midfielder Scott Buete.
- Portland signed another J-League vet in defender Takuro Nishimura.
- Minnesota signed defender Marcus Watson who has spent time on a few US Youth National Teams.
- Puerto Rico and Austin played to a scoreless draw as the Islanders looked to stay sharp ahead of their big CCL match against Cruz Azul.
- Former Rhino Chris Bagley scored for Wilmington as they played Charleston to a 1-1 draw.
- Former Rhino Matthew Delicate scored the loan goal in Richmond's 1-0 win over Carolina.
- Miami FC will open this season at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.