After Saturday's 1-0 win in Atlanta, the Rhinos are six points clear of 8th place Minnesota and sitting in a relative tie for 3rd with Charleston in the USL 1st Division standings.
If Sports Club Stats.com is correct, the Rhinos have a 98.5% chance of making the playoffs.
The really cool thing is that if the Rhinos get 5 points or more in their final four matches of the season, then they are a lock for the playoffs.
So basically, if the Rhinos can split their final four games (home against Portland and Puerto Rico and at Carolina and Miami FC), then they are looking good.
News & Notes:
- If you want to see Alen Marcina in action, head down to PAETEC Park at 6pm tonight for a Rhinos Reserve match.
- Greg Lalas' latest at SI.com must have jinxed Oguchi Onyewu as he didn't move before the trasfer window closed.I thought the SI jinx involved being on the magazine's cover?
- Speaking of SI.com, Grant Wahl has a nice piece ahead of the US-Cuba World Cup Qualifier. I wonder which team Boom Boom will be rooting for?
- It looks like there is some work being done on the Red Bulls' new home!
- In case you missed it, here is MLS' weak response to SBI.net's story of MLS telling the Red Bulls that they couldn't pay $200,000 for Mac Kandji.
- We are only a day away from the US Open Cup Final between Charleston and DC United. The Battery already have the match preview up on their website. DC United is still trying to push tickets for the match. My guess is that the crowd will be pretty sparse, even with DC hosting the match at RFK.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.