May 31, 2007
Yesterday was crazy and there is a ton going on in the soccer world, so here goes:
- Matthew Delicate was named as the USL 1st Division Player of the Week for his two goal performance versus Miami FC on Sunday. Johnny Menyongar was also named to the Team of the Week. Although, I would have bounced him for not shooting on the play that Delicate ended up getting his second goal on......
- The Rhinos will host the PDL's Long Island Roughriders at 7:35pm on Tuesday, June 12th in the first round of the 2007 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup tournament. The Roughriders feature long time MLS defender Steve Jolley and forward Jordan Cila. Jordan's father Renato was a midfielder for the Rochester Lancers during his playing career. Should the Rhinos win that match, they will take on the winner of the Western Mass Pioneers-Danbury United match.
- Rhinos players will be out and about today with some more players going to city schools to read to students and the women's team will be heading out to Regal Henrietta tonight for the 7:25 pm showing of the soccer film Gracie.
- With the US Men's National Team starting up, US Soccer.com is all over things. Whether it's the blog, videos, photo gallery, a great podcast with Benny Feilhaber and Sacha Klejstan, and the usual news and notes. US Soccer.com also did a really cool "Anatomy of a practice" blog that gave a running commentary on the team's practice on Tuesday morning.
- Steven Goff is saying that Kasey Keller to Real Salt Lake could be a done deal. If this deal happens, it will be a great move by Jason Kreis and company. That would count as a major signing, right? LA Soccer News.com also has a interview with Keller about where his future may lie.
- TopDrawerSoccer.com has a good interview with USMNT and US U-20 midfielder Michael Bradley. Anyone who thinks that he's part of the USMNT roster for the Gold Cup because his dad is the team's coach is a moron, IMO. The kid can play.
- Ryan Hunt's MLS Free Kicks has an update and the Galaxy are now saying that they will NOT loan Beckham to a European club at the close of the 2007 MLS season. Thank goodness for that. Becks will need the time off after the 2006 WC, Real Madrid's 06-07 season, and then coming to the Galaxy for the remainder of their 2007 season.
- The Pittsburgh Riverhounds will be back in the USL 2nd Division in 2008. I wonder how long it will be before there are more former A-League teams in the USL 2nd Division and PDL as opposed to in the USL 1st Division?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.