November 11, 2011
Devo has an article on Doug Miller's motivation (including a video interview) at the D&C's website.
Now let's get into the MLS news:
- Pat Onstad enjoyed his first season as a coach.
- Bad news for Houston: it looks like Brad Davis is out of the final.
- Bad news for LA: it looks like Chad Barrett is out of the final.
- The Original Winger looks at whether Beckham is still looking at owning an MLS team when his player career is over.
- Uncle Phil is going to take home the Uncle Phil Trophy.
- Could Montreal be bringing in Nicolas Anelka?
- The Third Kit looks at 5 better replacements for Steve Nicol.
- The Original Winger has a link to a short documentary on the Portland Timbers.
- KC's CJ Sapong was named the 2011 MLS Rookie of the Year.
- LA will face Toronto FC in CCL quarters.
- Sebastien Le Toux and the Portland Timbers won the 2011 MLS Fair Play awards.
- John Spencer isn't leaving Portland to replace Gary Smith in Colorado it would appear.
- Omar Gonzalez was named 2011 MLS Defender of the Year.
- The Houston Dynamo's stadium is taking shape.
- Zak Boggs was named the 2011 MLS Humanitarian of the Year.
- Sunil Gulati is out as New England Revolution president.
- Tim Ream could be leaving MLS and Lee Nguyen could be on his way to MLS.
- Don Garber unveiled the 2011 MLS Best XI.
- Don Garber is also worried about the stadium situation that DC United is dealing with.
- Scheduling and expansion were two topics in Don Garber's state of MLS speech this year.
- Don Garber hopes that Beckham will be back in MLS in 2012.
News & Notes:
- WNY Flash F Alex Morgan is the latest player to be a part of Nike's Perfect Strike series.
- Nike has coverage of Megan Rapinoe's style.
- Lionel Messi is big time now. He has his own logo.
- Former US U-17 MNT captain Marc Pelosi has signed with Liverpool.
- Alex Pineda Chacon is the new Atlanta Silverbacks head coach.
- Jeff Kassouf talks to Mike Lyons about leaving magicJack.
- The US Open Cup looks like it will get a makeover in 2012, especially if the NASL is a part of the competition.
- Arsene Wenger talks about Brek Shea's training stint with Arsenal.
- Former Montreal Impact player David Testo has made a big announcement.
- Klinsmann isn't worried about the result of the US-France match.
- MLS Soccer.com's Greg Lalas has a sit down with Klinsmann.
- Since Herculez Gomez won't be playing against France, he's going to watch the match with some US fans instead.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.