July 26, 2011
If you didn't tune in to Fox Soccer on Sunday night to check out the WNY Flash versus the Boston Breakers, then you missed a sick equalizing goal by Alex Morgan.
My reaction to the goal was that it needs to be the main piece of ads to push the August 3rd Flash-Breakers match and that the Flash need to give away 1000 rolls of pink pre-wrap to ladies young and not so young that come to the match.
The Flash have tried to push Marta so far in 2011. Given the average non-Abby Wambach attendance is just a touch over 2000 fans per match, I think they need to change direction and start pushing Alex Morgan who is a star thanks to the World Cup.
Just look at the fact that Morgan joined Abby Wambach and Hope Solo in an endorsement deal with Bank of America. Morgan will also take part in a star studded Mia Hamm charity match on Sunday in Washington, DC.
They have a little over a week to push this match. It will be interesting to see if the post-World Cup bump was a one time only thing or not. I hope it wasn't.
News & Notes:
- It's less than one month until the Rochester Lancers combine takes place.
- All White Kit has postgame interviews from the Breakers-Flash match and the report of USWNT friendlies versus New Zealand in Kansas and Portland.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer has some Montreal Impact notes beyond just the team acquiring Ryan Pore on loan from Portland.
- Jeff @ Equalizer Soccer has the superlatives for the 2011 WWC.
- Rangers doesn't want to wait until the winter transfer window to get Alejandro Bedoya.
- If this is indeed what an FC Dallas 3rd kit looks like, I'll approve.
- The Houston Dynamo stadium mock ups look really nice.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.