Pia Sundhage named the 2011 Women's World Cup roster for Team USA today and Alex Morgan is the lone member of the WPS leading WNY Flash that was named to the squad today.
magicJack had seven players named to the squad, including Abby Wambach. One magicJack player that will be a topic for debate is backup goalkeeper Jillian Loyden who made the squad over Ashlyn Harris of the Flash.
Loyden did play in magicJack's opener while Hope Solo was serving her one game suspension that carried over from the end of the 2010 season. But, Solo has played the next two matches and will likely be the choice for magicJack's remaining matches leading up to the World Cup.
And with Yael Averbuch not making the squad, it will be interesting to see how soon she reports to the Flash and how long it takes her to work her way into Coach Lines' squad.
Rhinos win home opener
Tony Donatelli's goal was pretty in the Rhinos 1-0 win over the Charleston Battery. But, there were a bunch of things that head coach Bob Lilley wants to clean up prior to tomorrow's match in Harrisburg against the City Islanders.
The Rhinos were playing a Charleston team that had played Pittsburgh to a scoreless draw the night prior. But, it was the Battery that carried the play in the second half.
So while Lilley was happy that his team was able to hold on and secure the three points at home, he definitely wants to see more of a 90 minute effort from his squad.
The win put the Rhinos ahead of the Pittsburgh Riverhounds and into first place in the National Division of the USL PRO League standings.
News & Notes:
- Christine Sinclair has a lengthy Q&A up at ESPNW.
- Caroline Seger talks game day prep at ESPNW.
- All White Kit has their breakdown of the Flash win over Sky Blue FC.
- Equalizer Soccer talks tactics about the Flash v Sky Blue FC.
- Barca is playing Chivas in Miami and Club America in Dallas this summer.
- SBI.net has the week that was in the NASL.
- For people that love attendance numbers, the Flash (1704) and Rhinos (5958) had announced crowds that combined for a larger attendance than the three NASL games from this past weekend. Carolina at FC Tampa Bay drew 3325 fans, FC Edmonton at Atlanta drew 2433 fans, and Fort Lauderdale at NSC Minnesota drew 1672 fans.
- The LA Galaxy versus NY Red Bulls game was worth DVRing for me. And apparently Landon Donovan ticked off a few Red Bulls with his mouth. And if the Red Bulls and/or MLS don't take this clip of Thierry Henry showing some sick ball skills into a commercial or three, they are idiots.
- Freddy Adu had a nice weekend with a goal and an assist.
- The annual unveiling of MLS salaries has occured.
- Could MLS be headed to Las Vegas?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.