December 21, 2011
Abby Wambach was named the AP Female Athlete of the Year this week.
In so doing, she becomes the first individual soccer player to win either the AP Male or Female Athlete of the Year award.
The 1999 Women's US National Team won the AP Female award as the first soccer honorees.
So, Abby now has done one thing that Mia Hamm was never able to do.....
News & Notes:
- The Rochester Lancers host the Norfolk SharX tomorrow evening as they hope to get back to .500 and solidify their spot ahead of Syracuse for the last playoff spot in the MISL's Eastern Division.
- It was nice for the Lancers to get Andrew Hoxie (5 pts) and Patrick Hannigan (14 saves) in their win over Syracuse on Saturday.
- The WNY Flash have signed Spanish F Adriana and MF Allie Long away from Sky Blue FC.
- The Rhinos have signed F Conor Chinn and GK Brandon Miller.
- WNY Flash F Christine Sinclair contemplated going to Europe given all the questions about the future of WPS.
- All White Kit takes a couple of stabs at what the WPS Draft could look like given trades that have happened with teams that are no longer in the league.
- The Milwaukee Wave have Marco Terminesi back. The rest of the MISL just went "Uh oh..."
- The Baltimore Blast have lost Matt Watson to the Vancouver Whitecaps.
- Check out the Indoor Soccer News Christmas wishlist for MISL teams.
- FC Dallas are looking for a new stadium naming rights sponsor after Pizza Hut ends their deal with the club.
- It will be interesting to see if Ali Gerba gets a gig anytime soon.
- It's always fun to see MLS Designated Player signings go bad. Now it appears that Rafa Marquez wants to get out of NY.
- Speaking of Red Bulls DPs, Thierry Henry might be training with Arsenal soon.
- Montreal has a cool video about Stade Saputo and a Montreal native as it's most recent player signing.
- Landon Donovan might get thrown right into the mix during his loan to Everton.
- There were some ugly Christmas sweaters at the USWNT holiday party.
- This may be the craziest own goal ever.
- The Vancouver Whitecaps won the Lee Nguyen lottery.
- Edy Sebrango has been invited to Montreal Impact camp.
- The NASL's newest team, the San Antonio Scorpions, have signed their first players.
- FC Tampa Bay has acquired the rights to the Rowdies name.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.