October 18, 2007
A young USMNT squad defeated Switzerland 1-0 yesterday thanks to a goal by Michael Bradley on a play that was started by Maurice Edu and Danny Szetela.
Clint Dempsey got the assist on the 86th minute game winner as the US snapped a five game winless streak on European soil.
And in Portland, Oregon, Nicole Barnhart got the clean sheet for the USWNT and Abby Wambach scored her 86th career goal in her 104th career match as the US defeated Mexico 4-0 in the second of three games between to the two countries.
Hope Solo was once again on the substitute's bench for Greg Ryan's squad. It will be interesting to see if Solo gets the start in the series finale on Saturday in Albuquerque , New Mexico.
Some news bits from around the soccer world:
- Enough already. I don't care if it's Figo , stop the madness!
- MLS officials are once again kicking the tires in Portland...........
- Beckham-watch v2.0 is on!
- Steven Goff with a couple of MLS expansion tidbits: Seattle is a lock for 2009 and San Jose might be trying to get Frank Yallop or Dominic Kinnear (both former SJ E-Quakes head coaches) to be their head coach when they take to the field again in 2008.
- I never liked Carlos Ruiz more!
- Drogba to New England ? Probably not, but it does appear that the Chelsea star will ask to leave Stamford Bridge.
- If you ever wondered what Cobi Jones' next career might be, this could be a prelude.
- Do Chicago Fire players wear tin foil hats, too?
- And for the Kick This! fans that are wondering about this week's show, we hope to have a US Men's National Team legend on to talk about the next phase of his soccer career.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.