If the Rhinos are to avoid getting bounced from the playoffs by the Puerto Rico Islanders, they will need to have a big night offensively tomorrow after falling 2-0 in Puerto Rico last night.
The Rhinos did defeat Puerto Rico 3-0 at home earlier in the season. So, it is not outside the realm of possibility.
Plus, Puerto Rico has put up big numbers in their 2nd leg home matches the past two seasons to dispatch of the Rhinos.
One problem is that the Rhinos don't get Islanders sent off at home with the regularity that the Rhinos see red in Puerto Rico. Max Ferdinand getting a straight red card less than five minutes after he entered the match is just the latest Rhinos red card in Puerto Rico.
It would be a huge disappointment if this Rhinos team that won the regular season crown were to go out in the first round against the 8th seed. Even if it is an eighth seed like Puerto Rico.
News & Notes:
- The Rhinos aren't the only higher seed looking at a 2-0 hole after the first leg on the road. Montreal defeated Austin 2-0 and Vancouver topped Portland 2-0. Carolina is sitting pretty after playing NSC Minnesota to a scoreless draw in the first leg of their series in Minnesota.
- Apparently Abby Wambach made Sportscenter for killing a fan's hot dog. I guess it wasn't a Sahlen's hot dog.....
- ESPN the Magazine has a piece in their latest issue detailing Charlie Davies' rehab. Pretty powerful stuff.
- The irony that Eric Lichaj's first match for the US will be against Poland is pretty thick.
- Harrisburg is the latest USL-2 team to sign up to play in the USL PRO League in 2011.
- If you tune in to tomorrow's Kick This! not only will you hear Rhinos coach Bob Lilley and Puerto Rico Islanders MF Noah Delgado, but I'll drop a little info on what team Kenney Bertz appears to be playing for next.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.