June 7, 2011
The Flash had an off game and almost defeated Sky Blue FC before a late wonderstrike had the match finish in a 1-1 draw on Friday night.
The Rhinos were able to make Andrew Hoxie's two first half goals stand up in a 2-1 win in Antigua on Friday night.
On Sunday, the Rhinos got the ultimate wonderstrike when goalkeeper Neal Kitson's free kick from about 70 yards out found it's way into the back of the Antigua net and the Rhinos escaped with their 4th point of the two game road trip.
With magicJack falling 2-1 to the Boston Breakers on Sunday, the Flash now have a 9 point lead over magicJack with magicjack holding two games in hand.
The Rhinos trail the LA Blues by two points for first place in the National Division. But, LA has two games in hand over the Rhinos.
The Ravens sit fifth in the W-League's Great Lakes Division after back to back losses to division leading and unbeaten Ottawa. The Ravens have their next five games at home with the next four being against teams behind them or right around them in the standings.
USWNT News & Notes:
- WNY Flash defender Whitney Engen will not be making the trip to Germany as Heather Mitts passed her last test in the Sunday friendly versus Mexico.
- USWNT coach Pia Sundhage was taking the positive approach to the team dominating play versus Mexico, but being unable to finish until stoppage time.
- All White Kit is just looking at the result as what mattered.
- Equalizer Soccer looks at the relief that the Cheney blast provided the team.
- All White Kit has the entire Women's World Cup TV schedule.
- Hillary Clinton and members of the USWNT helped kick off the Women's World Cup Initiative.
USMNT News & Notes:
- Here are a couple of Clint Dempsey interviews by US Soccer.com.
- Here is Bob Bradley's pre-game speech before Saturday's match versus Spain.
- SBI.net thinks that the young US backline can learn from Saturday's loss to Spain.
- The USA 10 Kit thinks it's easy to be wrong about Michael Bradley.
- SBI.net looked at the quick turnaround from Saturday against Spain to the Tuesday night Gold Cup opener versus Canada.
- Soccer America believes Clint Dempsey's role for the US is vital.
- After missing the Spain game to illness, Landon Donovan was on the field against Canada this evening.
- Here is the Yanks Abroad match report from the Spain loss.
- US Soccer.com spent a day with Stuart Holden as he recovers from injury.
- The Free Beer Movement has a great post about how fans should buy American jerseys. I wore my old school red USMNT jersey to work today.
- The USA 10 Kit sees a problem with the losing.
- Alejandro Bedoya has replaced Benny Feilhaber on the US Gold Cup roster.
- *Spoiler Alert* Here is the early match report from US-Canada via US Soccer.com.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.