February 12, 2010
The Rhinos announced the signings of defender Adam West , goalkeeper Neal Kitson , and forward/midfielder Carlos Aguilar.
That gives the Rhinos 7 players on the roster for the 2010 season along with Goalkeeper Scott Vallow, Defender Frankie Sanfilippo, Defender/D-Mid Nano Short, and MF/F Ryan Heins.
Also announced today is that 2008 & 2009 Rhinos MVP Johnny Menyongar is the first signing for the new team in Minnesota. This signing is an obvious fit as Menyongar's family remained in the Twin Cities area while Johnny was playing here in Rochester and he still remains popular amongst soccer fans in Minnesota.
Fan favorite Danny Earls has re-united with Steve Guppy as he has been signed by the Colorado Rapids of MLS.
Earls fought injuries in 2009, but remained a fan favorite for his play on the left side of both the defense and midfield for Rochester.
News & Notes:
- The second division signings have been hot and heavy with AC St Louis signing 9 players, Portland signing James Marcelin away from Puerto Rico, Austin re-signed a couple of players, Crystal Palace Baltimore signed 3 players, Tampa Bay has signed 5 players, and Carolina has signed veteran defender Matt Bobo who spent 2009 with Charleston.
- Former Rhino Chad Severs has signed with the Pittsburgh Riverhounds in USL-2.
- MLS Talk and the 24th Minute are saying that there is good news on the MLS CBA front.
- It's all Landon, all the time with MLS Talk , MLS Daily , and US Soccer Daily all talking about what Landon's big performance in Everton's win over Chelsea means.
- Kevin Hartman appears to be on his way out of Kansas City, but he is headed to USMNT camp with Zach Thornton getting hurt.
- This almost makes me want to see the NFL go away in 2011.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.