March 19, 2009
At 9pm EST on ESPN2 and ESPN2HD, Seattle will make it's MLS debut and owner Drew Carey has been everywhere promoting the club.
It will be interesting to see if the Sounders can live up to many of Drew's boasts such as the one that they will win 1-0 tonight and won't have the same problems scoring that Toronto FC did as an expansion club.
It's going to be really interesting to see if Seattle can raise the bar with regards to on the field results when compared to San Jose, Toronto, and Real Salt Lake.
The big question will be how steady will the defense be in front of Kasey Keller.
News & Notes:
- Toronto players may not like Drew Carey's plan to have Seattle supporters vote on whether the club needs a new GM, but I like it. This will give fans a sense of ownership of the club and that will be vital in these tough economic times.
- Speaking of a new defender that is not available, I still haven't seen the press release saying that Scott Palguta is a Colorado Rapid.
- Miami FC is in for the 2009 USL 1st Division season. Well, as of yesterday........
- Clint Dempsey talks about becoming a more complete player at Fulham.
- Is 20 MLS teams by 2012 too much, too soon for the league? I voted No.
- Oh yeah, the Rhinos officially opened up camp at 9:30am this morning.
- US Soccer.com has revamped the US MNT blog.
- MLS Ultras is a pretty cool supporters roundtable on Youtube.
- DeRo is living the dream back home.
- Pat Onstad is feeling good at 41 years of age. I want to see Pat play until he's 50!
- Jimmy Conrad, quote machine.
- Austin grabbed a solid rookie defender in Lyle Adams.
- The Puerto Rico dream ride continues on as they defeated Cruz Azul 2-0 at home. I'm betting that they don't pull a Montreal choke job in the return leg.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them