With the weather not looking great for tonight's first place versus second place showdown at Marina Auto Stadium, here is your theme music for tonight.
With a win tonight, not only will the Rhinos pull within three points of Austin for first place in the USL Conference (and the Rhinos will hold a game in hand over the Aztex), the Rhinos will also jump past Vancouver for 2nd overall in the league after St Louis went into Vancouver and played the Whitecaps to a 1-1 draw last evening.
I was looking at the stats for the Rhinos this season and there are some interesting things going on.
The goal scoring is spread out with Anthony Hamilton leading the team in league goals with 4, Ryan Heins with 3, and 5 players (Rich Costanzo, Isaac Kissi, Tino Nunez, Aaron Pitchkolan, and Troy Roberts) with 2 goals each.
But if you look at the individual league leaders , the Rhinos don't really show up anywhere as Hamilton is tied for 8th in goals and Andrew Hoxie, Tyler Rosenlund, and Jamie Franks are tied for 7th with 2 assists each.
And if you look at the team stats , some more interesting things pop up. The Rhinos are tied for second in goals for. Yet, they are dead last in corner kicks and tenth in the league in shots.
The team is more disciplined than previous editions as they are 5th in fouls and 4th in misconduct points.
And while I'm sure that Bob Lilley would like to lead the league defensively, they are 4th in goals allowed. But, the Rhinos have played fewer games than a couple of the teams ahead of them.
I just hope the weather doesn't put a damper on a showdown between two of the best offensive teams in the league.
News & Notes:
- It would be amazing if the Rhinos retro Lancers kits for the NASL Night match versus Miami FC were Tailored by Umbro editions like these.
- Here is Devo's article on Anthony Hamilton from yesterday's D&C.
- Austin's Max Griffin was named the USSF D2 Player of the Month for June. I'm wondering why no Rhinos were on the ballot?
- The Dayton Dutch Lions will be moving up from the PDL to the USL-2 in 2011.
- Don Garber was talking up potential expansion with a second NY City team recently.
- Scratch Raul to MLS off the DP rumor list.
- If NY doesn't name Thierry Henry as their new DP next week , it will be a big shock.
- Omar Salgado needs to find a new team after playing for the US U-20 Nats as Chivas didn't like it. I would laugh if he signed with MLS and ended up with Chivas USA!
- Is US Soccer talking to the man that guided Chile to the knockout round of the World Cup, Marcelo Bielsa ?
- US Soccer Daily may have one of the earliest 2014 23 tickets projections out there. That makes me wonder if who runs the US U-20 squad might be more important than the next USMNT coach. Is anyone looking at if Thomas Rongen should be replaced?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.