June 14, 2011
Rhinos defeat Harrisburg 1-0
- The USL Blog & D&C.com have the recap of the Rhinos win over the Harrisburg City Islanders on Saturday evening.
- Devo's game day piece on the Rhinos focuses on what F Andrew Hoxie did during the off season to enter his second pro season in better condition.
- Devo's blgo entry for today has the email from a member of the Rochester chapter of the American Outlaws Supporters group that is trying to re-ignite a Rhinos supporters group.
- Reminder - Season ticket holders should use Wild Card A for tonight's Lamar Hunt US Open Cup match versus Phoenix SC of the USASA. Should the Rhinos advance to Round 2 of the tournament , they will either host Reading of the PDL or travel to Harrisburg to take on the City Islanders.
- The Offside Rules has some love for Devo's report on how MLS has outgrown Rochester.
Flash lose to Philadelphia 1-0
- Shameless plug: Here is the podcast of the premier edition of Flash Through The WPS, our new radio show that focuses on the Flash, the WPS, and will cover teh upcoming FIFA Women's World Cup. It follows Kick This! starting at noon on Saturdays on 107.3 FM & 1280 AM Rochester Sports Talk or online at WHTK.com.
- All White Kit & Equalizer Soccer recap the Flash's first loss of 2011.
- All White Kit has their six things that happened in WPS this week.
- Devo wonders if the Flash are in trouble. I guess it depends on your definition of trouble. Once players like Sinclair and Seger return from the World Cup, I expect the rest of the league to be in trouble once again.
- McCall Zerboni admits that she is a really bad loser in this week's Mondays with McCall post.
- Marta and the Flash took in the HEROics documentary and here is her reaction to it via Equalizer Soccer.
- Ali Riley talks about her hobbies on ESPNW.
USMNT finishes Gold Cup group play tonight
- SBI.net , Soccer America , The USA 10 Kit , MLS Talk , The Fullback Files , US Soccer Daily , and Daily Soccer Fix recap the US loss to Panama. It was the USMNT's first group stage loss in Gold Cup history along with their first loss to Panama.
- Soccer America has the reaction from the US locker room to the loss.
- Soccer America has US player ratings from the loss to Panama.
- Soccer Insider has the video evidence of the US loss to Panama.
- SBI.net says that today will be a nerve wracking day in Group C of the Gold Cup.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer.com , The USA 10 Kit [3 things to watch for] , Yanks Abroad , US Soccer Daily , The USA 10 Kit [Notes from KC] , and Soccer America have US-Guadeloupe previews.
- Soccer America says that the USMNT needs to focus on the job at hand.
- Here is some video of interviews of key USMNT members ahead of tonight's match and the USMNT blog has the quote sheet.
- LIVESTRONG Sporting Park will become only the second soccer specific stadium to host a USMNT Gold Cup match in the US.
- The USA 10 Kit thinks that the entire Gold Cup is must win for Bob Bradley. Given how good Mexico has looked, that might be a tall order.
- The USMNT in England video series continues with Michael Bradley talking about his time in Birmingham and an interview with GK Marcus Hahnemann.
News & Notes:
- The Free Beer Movement has a cool photo essay of opening night at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park.
- Adam Spangler has a guest post over at DuNord talking about how he can't wait to take in LIVESTRONG Sporting Park for himself.
- Adam also has a great post on the history of the Wiz/Wizards/Sporting KC at his main home of This Is American Soccer.com.
- Here is the Matchday 360 video of opening night at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park.
- Seattle's Steve Zakuani talks to the media for the first time since having his leg broken.
- Shep Messing talks about the glory years of the NY Cosmos.
- The11.ca wants to see Beckham get suspended for his reckless challenge on Tony Tchani.
- Eric Hassli had a siiiiiiiiiiiiick goal for the Vancouver Whitecaps against Seattle over the weekend.
- This Alaska Airlines ad featuring Portland Timbers head coach John Spencer is EPIC.
- The Fullback Files look at some great MLS volley goals.
- The Free Beer Movement has Episode 1 and Episode 2 of Studio: Stoppage Time that pokes fun at US Soccer.com's Studio 90.
- The Richmond Kickers ended their four game winless streak in New York.
- ESPNW looks at how soccer can change the world.
- Apparently Red Bulls fans can't take a joke.
- Here is a cool interview with the photog that has been documenting the return of the NY Cosmos.
- FC St Pauli has their fans as the models as they unveil their new jerseys.
- For the bootniks, here is an interview with Nike Soccer's Global Design Director.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.