Someone recently posted a question on Joy McKenzie's Facebook page about what is up with WNY Pride, the W-League team that was to play in Rochester this summer.
Poking around the internet, I've found some interesting things. First is that the WNY FC.com web page doesn't seem to have been updated lately, their Twitter feed last had a post in February, but most interesting is that both Joy and head coach Shek Borkowski are with FC Indiana.
Joy even shows up in the 2009 player pool on the FC Indiana website.
It will be interesting to see if Western NY Pride ever gets off the ground in 2009............
News & Notes:
- Devo talked about it in his blog and Bob Matthews talks about the prices for the USWNT game coming to Rochester being too high. The one tidbit that made me go HMMMMM was that the 2006 game that drew less than 7000 fans to PAETEC Park with similiar prices netted US Soccer their biggest gate of the year.
- Devo also talks about all the run that the Naming Rights Raffle has gotten. Not only did the soccer blog at the Miami Herald Website talk about it, but Schopp and the Bulldog were talking about it a lot yesteday as well as Mike is friends with the person that came up with the idea.
- Vancouver is off to an 0-1-2 start to the 2009 campaign after a 1-1 draw in Austin last night.
- Diego Serna was named the USL 1st Division Player of the Week and two former Rhinos made the Team of the Week in Dusty Hudock and Frankie Sanfilippo.
- WVHooligan has a great Good, Bad, and Ugly So Far post up about the 2009 MLS Season to date.
- The Guardian wonders if the box to box midfielder is dead. Here in Rochester, the answer is YES.
- I love retro gear most of the time and Everton's jersey for the 2009-10 season get's a thumbs up here.
- No bounty out on Cristiano Ronaldo? Come on!
- Juan Pablo Angel can't wait until the Red Bulls start training on real grass.
- Could Beckham not land with AC Milan after all?
- This is a really cool idea involving soccer and crime prevention.
- With Chris Sanders on the shelf, I wonder if the Rhinos would contemplate taking a look at young American striker Devann Yao profiled here at This Is American Soccer.com ?
- Since it's Earth Day, I feel the need to link to something Green.....
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.