I usually hate the megastar to MLS rumors, but this one is too juicy to pass up.
Goal.com is talking about how FC Barcelona may look to move Thierry Henry to their Miami based MLS team should they ge given one of the two expansion teams that MLS is looking to add in 2011.
Although, this report says that the Barca-Miami team may join MLS in 2010.
Either way, the USL needs to get on their knees and pray that MLS buys into this bid.
It appears to be a foregone conclusion that Montreal is gone to MLS in 2010 or 2011. But, if Miami grabs the other open slot, that would save the USL from losing another thriving market as they would likely lose Portland or Vancouver if Miami doesn't get a team.
I would love to see Thierry Henry in MLS. But even more than that, I'd love to see MLS try and return to Miami.
NY Red Bulls 1 Real Salt Lake 0
Dave Van den Bergh gave the Red Bulls the only goal they needed on Saturday night to go into Salt Lake and escape with a 1-0 win and advance to Sunday's MLS Cup Final at the Home Depot Center against the Columbus Crew.
Real Salt Lake definitely went down fighting as they outshot NY 24 to 11 and rang one shot off of Danny Cepero's right post.
The cool part about this final is that it will pit two franchises that are each playing in their first MLS Cup Final.
So, either way, their will be history set and someone with Rochester ties will get some hardware.
News & Notes:
- Fan Nation.com has a link to a rumor that Juan Pablo Angel is contemplating a return to Argentina. That couldn't come out at a worse time for the Red Bulls, could it?
- Bob Bradley has announced his roster for Wednesday's World Cup Qualifier against Guatemala and it includes Jozy Altidore and Freddy Adu.
- US International defender Jonathan Spector has signed a three year extension with West Ham United.
- Tomasz Frankowski threw Chicago Fire head coach Denis Hamlett under the bus.....
- Steven Goff lays out the busy week in soccer that is upon us.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.