Toronto FC & the NY Red Bulls picked the wrong day pull off a blockbuster trade. Especially when there were reports that the deal was on hold due to a player involved not being able to cross the border.
But, Dwayne DeRosario is now a Red Bull and midfielder Tony Tchani, defender Danleigh Borman and a First Round pick in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft are headed to Toronto.
Seriously. No joke.
News & Notes:
- Here is the MLS April Fool's Day joke of the year.
- Devo's not happy that 1/3 of the USL PRO teams won't have USL Live games from their stadiums. I'm surprised that Richmond, Charlotte, and Pittsburgh won't have the feed. FC New York and Sevilla Purto Rico, not so much.
- Soccer America has 10 USL PRO players to watch this season. Tony Donatelli is the Rhinos player to watch.
- WPS has unveiled their 2011 rosters.
- US Soccer.com has 11 questions for USWNT & WNY Flash F Alex Morgan.
- Dan Lauletta takes a look at the 6 former FC Gold Pride players on the WNY Flash.
- The USWNT takes on England today at 3pm on ESPN2.
- DC United is backing a USL W-League franchise to replace the relocating Washington Freedom.
- FC Edmonton has unveiled new jerseys and their jersey sponsor.
- This look at Sporting Kansas City's stadium is pretty cool.
- Danny Earls is back with Steve Guppy and the Colorado Rapids.
- MLS commissioner Don Garber did an "uncut" interview for MLSSoccer.com.
- Grant Wahl has a recap of what happened when he tried to run for FIFA president and how much bonus money the FIFA Executive Committee got after the World Cup.
- Cobi Jones, Earnie Stewart, and Eddie Pope have been named to the US Soccer Hall of Fame class of 2011 with Bob Gansler and Bruce Murray.
- Chad Ochocinco's trial with Sporting Kansas City ended with Chad being named an honorary member of the club. Here is some video of Ochocinco in a reserve match and some behind the scenes stuff , as well.
- Jeff Agoos has left the Red Bulls and joined the MLS League Office.
- Nike is wondering Who is Superfly?
- FC Dallas has a cool "The Season" series on Youtube.
- MLS has officially named Manchester United as the All Star Game opponent.
- Here is what the Toronto FC opener looked like through the eyes of the Red Patch Boys supporters club.
- Greg Seltzer looks at the Jay DeMerit documentary.
- The USMNT will face Spain at Foxboro on June 4th.
- The Oregonian says Soccer City USA is...........San Jose. My guess is that the Timbers Army wasn't real thrilled to read that.
- The MLS opening weekend Vancouver-Toronto match drew a pretty good TV rating north of the border.
- Stuart Holden took a nasty knock with Bolton that may put him on the shelf for up to 6 months.
- Steve Nash was getting the crowd rocking at the Whitecaps opener.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.