May 5, 2011
Since I was slacking earlier this week, here are some random news & notes from around the soccer world:
- Grant Wahl has a piece on Marta and the Flash in the latest issue of SI.
- Ali Riley and the Flash have some Royal Wedding fun.
- Is Orlando now in the lead to land MLS club #20? Steve Donner trying to take a team to MLS. Where have I heard that one before?
- The USWNT played a little rugby at practice.
- MLS Soccer.com continues their behind the scenes look at FC Dallas in 2011.
- Fake Sigi looks at the perils of worrying about soccer attendance too much.
- Etienne Barbara is the NASL Player of the Month for April.
- Ali Gerba misses a sitter and it helped Vancouver advance in the NCC.
- Pachuca has put their entire roster on the transfer block. Ouch!
- SJ advanced past Portland in US Open Cup qualifying.
- In a stunner, Abby was a part of the winning team in a game of crossbar at USWNT practice.
- The USWNT team camp is smaller this week with Flash & Sky Blue FC players not heading to Florida for the week since they play here tomorrow night.
- American Zak Whitbread might be headed to the EPL after Norwich City gained promotion.
- I wonder if Toronto FC might field a WPS team in the future? Vancouver has had a quality women's team. WPS would do really well to get both of those markets into the league.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.