Long time Rhino fan Rick Teresi collapsed last night while playing soccer at Total Sports Experience.
Rick has undergone a quadruple bypass operation and is recovering in intensive care based on the latest news I've seen.
Everyone is hoping that Rick pulls through and is at the 2008 home opener at PAETEC Park.
News & Notes:
- Talk about cheap, the Houston Chronicle is reporting that John Spencer has apparently turned down the Chicago Fire head coaching job because Chicago's salary offer was about what he's making as an assistant with the Dynamo.
- The Boston Globe is reporting that Preston North End could up their offer for Taylor Twellman to $2 million. But, there is speculation that New England could want in the neighborhood of $8 million for their leading scorer.
- The Washington Post is reporting that DC United is close to signing 24-yo Argentine forward Franco Niell. Basically, Niell is expected to take minutes from Jaime Moreno, DC's captain.
- Steven Goff says that the Schelotto returning to Columbus in 2008 is 50/50 because Schelotto feels he was mislead by his reps in that the Crew hold an option for 2008 and Schelotto thought he was going to be a free agent.
- The Salt Lake Tribune is reporting that Alecko Eskandarian could be headed to Chivas USA. Chivas had some serious attacking power last season with Razov and Galindo and Esky would had a spark off the bench.
- The Salt Lake Tribune also has the story that former US International defender Eddie Pope has taken a job with the MLS Players Union as the Director of Player Relations.
- Jack Bell of the NY Times talks to new Red Bulls Sporting Director Jeff Agoos. Osorio and Agoos certainly have their work cut out for them as they try and become the people that bring MLS success to the metro NY area.
- Jeff Bradley's latest First XI column is a cool one that ticks off the list of things that MLS fans should look forward to during the off season.
- Soccer by Ives.net is reporting that the Columbus Crew are not looking to sell their DP slot. They are rumored to be close to a deal with a DP. But, it will also be interesting to see if Schelotto wants DP money as well.......
- Big Apple Soccer.com has talked to John Harkes and he has confirmed that he is out as an assistant with the Red Bulls. I wonder if the new Rhinos investor knows about this?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.