WYSL 1040 AM has posted a news item on their site that says that the Rhinos have backed out of a verbal agreement to have games broadcast on WYSL for both the 2008 and 2009 seasons and they will instead move to one of the FM signals owned by Clear Channel radio.
Hot Talk 1280 AM, the home of Kick This!, is also a Clear Channel station.
Sam talked about the radio situation at the top of Saturday's show. Also, there was a subliminal clue that was dropped as to what the new home of Rhinos soccer will bein the future.
Other Rhinos News:
- The Detroit Ignition had their run in the MISL playoffs come to an end over the weekend. That means that defender Nate Craft and new Rhinos midfielder Ze Roberto are now free to report to Rochester.
- Ryan Whirty has come quotes from former Rhinos minority owner and general manager Chris Economides about how he feels about the way the ownership situation has played out. I do have one question for Ryan, does a blog posting made over two months ago count as recent? Personally, I think takes on the blogoshpere are generally old news within a couple of days!
News & Notes:
- It's time for Sam to break out his "No More Ties" shirt! The USL 1st Division has seen 3 ties in it's first 6 games of the 2008 season after Saturday night's action where Seattle and Charleston drew at a goal apiece, Carolina [Click here for a link to the RailHawks free kick goal by Steve Curfman] and Atlanta also tied at a goal apiece, and Montreal came back for a 2-1 win at Miami FC.
- The US has found out it's opponents in group play in both the Men's and Women's Olympic tournaments. Peter Nowak's squad will face Japan, the Netherlands, and Nigeria in Group B of the Men's tournament while Pia Sundhage's team will face Norway, Japan, and New Zealand in Group G of the Wpmen's tournament.
- The logo for the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup in Germany has been unveiled.
- Is Nike going to try and block Ronaldinho's move to AC Milan because AC Milan's kit sponsor is adidas? This report says that Nike may help Inter Milan, who has Nike as a kit sponsor, land the Barcelona star. You have to love the Nike vs adidas games played off the field!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.