The Rhinos unveiled their new head coach on Wednesday and the job went to long time Richmond Kickers assistant coach Jesse Myers.
Myers has head coaching experience in college and in the USL's W-League. He has also been around the pro men's game at a variety of levels since he's been with the Kickers for around 15 years and that would cover their time in the A-League, USL 1st Division, USL 2nd Division, and the USL PRO League.
He also helped run the Kickers Youth Academy. With the Rhinos seemingly trying to get a youth program up and running, that might have played into the decision, as well.
Myers talked about how he hoped to bring back Billy Sedgewick as his assistant coach. It will be interesting to see how that works out with Sedgewick applying for the head coaching job and getting passed over for someone with any previous ties to the organization and without head coaching experience on his resume.
News & Notes:
- The WNY Flash have re-signed one of the best left backs in the league in Ali Riley.
- The Syracuse Silver Knights have signed Darren Toby who played outdoor with the Charlotte Eagles this past season.
- Claudio Reyna talks to Goal.com about the new US Soccer Youth Development program he's heading up.
- The USMNT will take on France in Paris on November 11.
- The 2nd leg of the NASL Semifinals are tonight.
- Joe Corona is ready to pass on Mexico and play for the USMNT.
- ESPNW looks at how players in Sweden's Women's Soccer League need to work 2nd jobs to make ends meet.
- The field is set for CONCACAF Qualifying for the Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament.
- WADA has dropped the doping case against Mexico for the positive tests during the 2011 Gold Cup.
- MLS commish Don Garber held a press conference to talk on a wide variety of topics including scheduling and expansion.
- Kenny Mayne went and hung out with Ronaldinho.
- LA's Gregg Berhalter is hanging up his boots after an 18 year career.
- The Montreal Impact have cut 7 players from their MLS camp.
- FC Edmonton have cut 11 players from their NASL squad.
- GOL TV is talking to the NASL about TV coverage in 2012.
- Bruce Arena talks up how much Landon Donovan's leadership means to the LA Galaxy.
- With trouble brewing in Colorado , I wonder if Steve Guppy will be looking for a job soon?
- A young German-American Arsenal prospect is thinking about his long term options within US Soccer. This is yet another player that is looking at playign for the US more now that Klinsmann is on board.
- Val Ackerman looks at four keys to advancing women's pro sports leagues.
- Kasey Keller is getting ready for his home farewell as his career comes to a close.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.