January 7, 2008
We had Rhinos CEO Steve Donner on the phone for the entire show on Saturday. Steve said that the new Rhinos investor was in town and they were trying to hammer out the final details on the agreement that will lead to the investor joining the ownership group of the Rhinos.
Steve hopes to make an announcement this week and there were a variety of things that the team hopes to do heading into the 2008 season. One of which could be a re-branding of the team.
Also, there is a poster over at Rochester Sports Fans.com has talked to someone about the new investor and he has posted some very interesting things that might happen including possibly putting a retractable roof over PAETEC Park to allow the venue to be used twelve months out of the year.
If this investor is everything that Steve Donner hopes that he is, the club and it's fans could be set to go on one wild ride once this all gets finalized.
News & Notes:
- Greg Lalas has a new Outside the Box article at SI.com and a new 3-5-2 article at Goal.com. My favorite line has to be about Columbus Crew goalkeeper Will Hesmer being called into USMNT camp by Bob Bradley - "Will Hesmer? Really? Was Jonny Walker otherwise occupied?"
- It's been a while since we've had real David Beckham news. So, here are some pictures from his training with Arsenal and an AP story on his feelings towards Capello being named the new English National Team manager.
- One of the big questions for the USMNT heading into World Cup qualifying is when will DaMarcus Beasley be back? Obviously it's not soon enough.
- Ives Galarcep has his first Monday Morning Centerback since he launched SBI.net last week. If I'm Eddie Johnson, I don't know if I want to jump to Derby County. Brad Guzan to Celtic on the other hand..........
- Steven Goff's blog has a boatload of news tidbits over the past couple of days. Whether it's updates on the Latin American players that DC United are after or news about the Revs not talking to Euro club that wanted to buy Taylor Twellman to player and coaching info from around the league, Steven's got it covered.
- I love Louis Arroyave 's take on the Chicago Fire coaching search. I wonder what will happen first: Chicago will name their new head coach or the Rhinos will unveil their new investor?
- Jeff Bradley's latest First XI at MLSNet.com is a good one: 11 goals that were better than Blanco's 2007 Goal of the Year. I just wish that they had the video linked in for each of the goals!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.