July 22, 2010
The Rochester Lancers v2.0 will not play a game for over a year.
They don't have a coach. They don't have any players. They don't have any teams that they will play against.
But, they have an ownership group, a home arena, and a league.
They also had solid media coverage yesterday.
Only time will tell how successful the USL's venture into the indoor game will be. The talk yesterday setting up a regional league and having a year to get ready for the first season are two signs that the USL is doing this the right way.
Cities like Buffalo, Syracuse, Utica, Albany, and Mississauga, Ontario were mentioned as potential members of the I-League. If the Lancers are playing the bulk of their road schedule within 3 or 4 hours drive time from Rochester, that will be great for the team. Not only will it help the club's bottom line by reducing travel costs, but it may help excite the fanbase that will be able to travel to away matches and support their team.
A lot of people were interviewing Sam first and Doug Miller second yesterday. Channel 13 believes that Doug Miller will suit up for the Lancers next year. Sam and Doug denied the report to Devo on Tuesday. Mike Catalana was betting that Doug will will be a Lancer in 2011 before yesterday's press conference. When Mike asked Sam about it, Sam said that they don't have a coach yet and he'd never tell his coach who to sign or who to play.
Personally, I think that the odds that Doug Miller is "The Franchise" once again are pretty good. Sam knows that you need to create a buzz about any business to be successful. Getting Doug Miller involved in the Lancers would create a buzz.
But, I would bet on Doug Miller being the Lancers player/coach if he is to suit up for the team.
All in all, yesterday was fun and I can't wait to see the team in action next winter.
Also, if you want a season ticket for life, go to the team's website as they are on sale for $500.
News & Notes:
- Bob Lilley likes the way his team attacked Carolina and I can't disagree. I just hope they can finish once or twice against Tampa Bay tonight.
- Jonny Steele might make his Tampa Bay debut tonight against his former club.
- Miami FC has made a head coaching change.
- Montreal has added Wesley Charles.
- Sal Zizzo is headed to Chivas USA.
- Jemal Johnson may go on trial with DC United.
- Manchester City might be looking at Landon Donovan.
- The Ronaldinho to LA rumors refuse to die.
- Everyone with Pro-Rel dreams are likely lapping this report up.
- The US Open Cup semis are set after DC United dispatched Harrisburg last night.
- If you are interested in joing a Rochester chapter of the American Outlaws, head over here.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.