June 9, 2012
I didn't say anything after the US Open Cup loss in Philadelphia and the Rhinos have now lost to the Richmond Kickers 1-0 and tied the Wilmington Hammerheads 1-1 in their last two USL PRO League matches.
That puts the Rhinos at 0-2-3 in their last 5 league matches after their 6-0-0 start where they didn't concede a goal. The Rhinos now head to the road for their next three home matches at Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, and Richmon, before coming home to host Harrisburg on June 30th.
The Rhinos obvious issue is a lack of offense. The team continues to add to their string of matches where they fail to score more than a single goal. It has happened in 9 of their 11 league matches so far this season.
On the positive side, George Kyriazis & Danny Earls were named to the Team of the Week for the game against Richmond.
Lancers off season news:
- Carrie and John Ball welcomed new baby girl Jaci Isabella Ball to the world yesterday.
- Lubo has signed with the NASL's San Antonio Scorpions.
- Mauricio Salles scored a PK goal in the 116th minute to lead the Charlotte Eagles past San Antonio and into the Quarterfinals of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup.
News & Notes:
- The USMNT opened up World Cup Qualifying with a 3-1 win over Antigua & Barbuda last night. Here are the highlights.
- Since it's a rainy day, either sit back and watch Euro 2012 or just go through all the videos on the US Soccer YouTube channel.
- Another good watch is ESPN's documentary about FC Start.
- Apparently the NY Red Bulls used an inelligible player in their USOC win over the Charleston Battery.
- The USOC Quarterfinals see 5 MLS teams (Philadelphia, Sporting KC, Chivas USA, Seattle, and San Jose) and 3 USL PRO League (Harrisburg, Dayton, and Charlotte) teams remaining.
- Clint Dempsey was named Fulham's Player of the Year for the second straight season.
- Aron Winter is out and Paul Mariner is in as the head coach of Toronto FC.
- Houston have signed Honduran MF Oscar Boniek Garcia as their newest DP.
- DC United could have new investors soon and this could help their stadium issues.
- Philadelphia have traded their first ever SuperDraft pick in Danny Mwanga to the Portland Timbers.
- Ronaldinho has a new home, but it's not in MLS.
- Has it really been 10 years since the US beat Portugal in the World Cup.....
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the
author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or
SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to
email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to
all of them.