August 20, 2009
If the most important parts of matches are the first and last 10 minutes of each half, then the Rhinos really need to work on that area of the game after the Minnesota Thunder outscored them 3-2 last evening in those 40 minutes of play.
The Rhinos not only allowed the opening goal only 6 minutes in, but they also failed to kill each half allowing goals in the 42nd minute and late in stoppage time at the end of the match.
This was supposed to be a get well match as the Rhinos faced the 9th place team in the league and team that only managed a 2-2 draw in Austin on Sunday.
One piece of good news is that Warren Ukah has 2 goals and an assist in 97 minutes of play over the past two games. But, the big question is what can the Rhinos do to improve defensively after allowing 7 goals at home over the past two games.
In the first three months of the season, the Rhinos had three league games where they allowed more than a single goal. In the last three weeks, they have had three games where they have allowed three or more goals.
That shake up that was talked about after the Portland loss may turn out to be a matter of too little, too late.
News & Notes:
- Former Chicago Fire GM and current President of the Chicago Red Stars of WPS Peter Wilt lays out his 10 pillars of soccer management. Rob Clark should print this out, frame it, and hang it on the office wall. Or, just hire Peter.....
- I can't believe that San Jose Earthquakes owner expected fans to flock to the club as soon as it re-opened for business. Wow.
- Houston , we have a DP.
- After reading this, I don't know how excited I am about Jozy heading to Hull City.
- There are still a few relatively short road trips left if the US gets a World Cup.
- Edgar Castillo is happy with how his loan to Tigres has worked out.
- Here is a gallery of some really cool US fan pictures from the US-Mexico game.
- ESPN2 has back to back nights of MLS action with LA winning in Chicago last night and New England going into Seattle tonight.
- Columbus has a new striker and it looks like the Red Bulls will be cleaning house after the season.
- MLS is off to a good start to the CONCACAF Champions league with Toronto FC getting bounced by Puerto Rico and now Columbus beating Puerto Rico and Houston winning as well. But, DC fell to Marathon.
- Grant Wahl talks to Didier Drogba.
- I can't believe MAS didn't make this list of the 10 best stadiums in the world!
- ESPN the Magazine had a very interesting article on The Everton Way this week. I wonder if this will help the quality of soccer in the US?
- I love the This Week in Soccer Conspiracy Theories.
- I have to say the answer to this question is likely to be a big fat NO.
- Here is some US Soccer video of Luis Gil, the 15 yo Yank who is reportedly set to sign with the Arsenal Academy soon.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.