December 2, 2011
Mauricio Salles promised a hat trick and he delivered (along with adding an assist) in the Lancers 16-2 win in Norfolk.
Jeremy Ortiz had a couple of goals, Doug Miller had a couple of assists, Irondequoit native Jake Schindler had his first pro goal, and Andrew Hoxie had a goal and an assist. Oh yeah, Patrick Hannigan, and the Lancers defense, only gave up one goal, too.
Hopefully the team will take the momentum from last night's win and translate it to a better game against Baltimore on Saturday night.
- Jesse Marsch is happy with what the Montreal Impact got out of the expansion draft.
- Brian Ching and Justin Mapp were the two big name picks for the Impact.
- Montreal then started the trade free for all after the draft.
- Montreal also signed Bryan Arguez. Montreal also has two former Fort Lauderdale Strikers on the roster.
- Goal.com looks at why MLS players are training overseas during the off season.
- One of the big names going abroad are Red Bulls/USMNT F Juan Agudelo and 2010 MLS ROTY Andy Najar of DC United.
- Will the LA Galaxy dangle a VP title in front of Beckham to get him to stay in LA?
- MLS Soccer.com has a Q&A with David Testo about a variety of topics, namely his recent decision to come out of the closet.
- Former RSL defender Ian Joy has talked about his battle with depression.
- Montreal picked up Davy Arnaud in a deal with Sporting KC and they picked up Donovan Ricketts from LA.
- The Big Lead has a Portland Timbers Q&A.
- Could Didier Drogba replace Beckham in LA?
- The new stadium in San Jose will feature field level suites.
- DC picked up defender Robbie Russell from RSL.
- Sporting KC picked up Paulo Nagamura from Chivas USA to help replace Arnaud.
- Orlando City is in talks with MLS about an expansion spot. Inside Minnesota Soccer.com talks to the Orlando City owner about the news.
- Daniel Hernandez is now a player/assistant coach in Dallas.
- Arlo White will be the MLS play-by-play voice for MLS games on the NBC Sports Network. Sam's head just exploded.
- Check out Sal Zizzo's food cart.
- It looks like Charlie Davies will be one and done with DC United.
- Bobby Boswell re-signed in Houston.
- Montreal has unveiled their 2012 kits.
- Bobby Convey has been traded to Sporting KC from San Jose.
- Montreal talked to Del Piero and he said he's only looking at LA or NY..........
News & Notes:
- Former Chicago Red Stars exec Peter Wilt has a proposal to fix women's pro soccer. It's definitely an interesting read.
- Beau Dure also brainstorms ideas as the US Soccer deadline for WPS looms.
- This rock-paper-sissors game to decide who takes a free kick is classic.
- It looks like Colin Clarke will be replacing Martin Rennie in Carolina.
- Pia Sundhage has unveiled her 31 player roster for the next USWNT camp.
- The USMNT has announced their first two friendlies of 2012.
- ESPN the Magazine has a Q&A with Jurgen Klinsmann.
- This is one of the coolest things I've seen for a soccer team to raise money.
- Fans designing an EPL club's website? Yup.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.